Friday, September 18, 2009

all Fached up

So I knew that coming to conservatory would bring a whole number of interesting changes. Size of fish and ponds, type of studies, whatever. But I was not particularly expecting a major fach change.

I went to my first lesson, which was after a sing in for my studio class (we all sang for each other, it was nice!). We sat down and basically the first thing that he said to me was that all of my repertoire was wrong and that we had to choose all new. His point was that my voice was just too big to be singing the rep that I sing.

You have to realize, that I still operate under the impression that I am a small voice. But the last year and a half has brought a lot of changes to my voice.

I have been singing this character (which I love, also yay bizarre staging!), but if I'm singing that, the "smaller" of the two soprano roles, who is going to sing this role, the supposed bigger. The answer is apparently no one.

so I have to stop thinking of myself as Zerlina, and start thinking of myself as Donna Anna.
Super hard, because the roles that I had been doing are teasing coquettish sort of roles, and the roles that I'm headed into are more tragic types of roles. Not something that I relate to quite so well.

4 comments:

Neen said...

That's a really big difference between those two voices! And frankly, between the two roles -- perhaps this is just because of which links you posted, but it seems that the Donna Anna voice is more often pegged in primary roles than secondary roles -- a whole different professional direction. Scary. Exciting, but scary. Glad you can start going through this transition now rather than later, but still. What did your old voice teacher say about this new "diagnosis"?

Mia said...

Though you enjoy playing the coquette, I think you'll be surprised at how much more believable you will be in the serious roles. You are much better suited in voice and appearance to drama not young and flirtatious roles. I completely agree with your teacher! Plus, even a year ago when I last heard you sing, I thought your voice had 'grown' tremendously. I could hear you half way down the block and your tone still sounded rich, for heaven's sake. I say go forth humbly and see what comes of it.

ACB said...

Embly, I hear you!! I feel the exact same way, but my "switch up" didn't start until after grad school. Only within the last 2-3 years have I really started to feel my voice settling into the "women" roles instead of the "girls." I've been more grateful than scared, as I've always hated playing the teasing coquette!

You have plenty of time to make the transition, so take it slow! Always keep in the back of your mind that your voice will continue to grow and change well into your 30s.

Happy to be reading your adventures!

Penny Stock Analysis said...

Happy new year 2010. Success for you.