Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake!

I must conclude that earthquakes only happen in the small hours of the morning. I have somehow experienced two earthquakes in the last 6 or 7 years while living in Connecticut and Illinois, both woke me up in the early hours of the morning.

Now according to the New York Times it's not actually surprising that Illinois would get an earthquake...we're apparently on a fault. I had no idea.

The first one was in high school. I distinctly remember thinking that my brother was making a ruckus and he thought that I was doing the same. So when the room shook I yelled"Evan!" and he yelled "Emily!". So that was good. I also remember Sarah telling me that she had been dreaming about a raccoon in her room and therefore assumed the shaking was "just the raccoon under my bed". Yup I'm usually pretty calm when it's "just the raccoon under my bed" too.

This time I knew immediately what was going on. I think it was slightly more violent than the one in CT. There were people in the street trying to figure out what was going on. Well I can only assume that's why they were in the street. I just looked at my clock to find out that it was 4:35 and went back to sleep where I promptly had very strange dreams.

But the dreams aren't news really.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hah. I thought it was a dream about San Francisco. Because they have earthquakes there. And I didn't think to ask anyone about it until my brother e-mailed me telling me to move some place safe, like California.

Go figure.

Alyssa said...

I thought I was home in California.

Until the door started shaking, making a lot of noise. I was sick, and my whiteboard had a sign on it to knock only if there was an emergency, so of course I sprang out of bed thinking some poor prospie was about to die. The halls were clear. I went back to sleep.

It's a great story.

Alyssa